[texbirds] Red Knots still along Boca Chica Road

  • From: txbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:18:49 -0700 (PDT)

Following Rex Stanford's note from a while back, John and I headed out along
Boca Chica Road after birding the Sabal Palm Grove (no Masked Duck but very
green and a fair amount of activity: Least Grebes nesting, for example).
Anyway, we found Red Knots almost all the way out to the beach (the edge of the
big body of water to the south, across from the abandoned convenience store).
Got great looks at White-tailed Hawks and saw a big flock of Horned Lark
juveniles...plus a flock of American White Pelicans heading south into Mexico.

Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX

Boca Chica LRGV-NWR (LTC 043), Cameron, US-TX
Jul 12, 2012 10:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
36 species (+1 other taxa)

American White Pelican  35
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  2
Tricolored Heron  3
Reddish Egret  80
White Ibis  2
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Harris's Hawk  3
White-tailed Hawk  3
Crested Caracara  2
Black-bellied Plover  15
Snowy Plover  1
Wilson's Plover  4
Semipalmated Plover  1
Black-necked Stilt  10
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Willet  7
Lesser Yellowlegs  14
Long-billed Curlew  3
Red Knot  5     There were several in basic plumage and a couple in alternate
still. Large sandpipers, with not as drooping a bill as a dunlin. Winter
plumage birds mostly plain grayish-tan, and alternative of course strong rusty
color.
Sanderling  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  5
Least Sandpiper  40
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher  3
Laughing Gull  15
Least Tern  5
Gull-billed Tern  2
Greater Roadrunner  1
Horned Lark  45     all juveniles--very pale underneath, no yellow--in pretty
tight flock
Barn Swallow  8
Cassin's Sparrow  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2