[texbirds] Recycle your old bird magazines and books.

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 17:44:46 +0000

Dear Texbirders,
Each year we hold a hummingbird festival here at Kleb Woods Nature Center. Two
years ago we set up a bird magazine give-away table to get rid of some
magazines we had accumulated and some surplus books. It was a popular idea and
we got rid of several hundred magazines and books. So last year we repeated the
activity by soliciting from you and others for give-away material. I think we
sent home close to 1000 books and magazines with visitors. We are planning on
doing it again since you were so generous last year with providing us material.

Last year we registered over 800 people at our one day event. 450 of those
visitors had not attended a nature center or nature event before. Our audience
is unaware of most nature publications. Texas Parks Magazines, Wildlife
Federation, National Geographic, Birds and Blooms, Audubon, Cornell, ABA and
TOS publications are all suitable. Old field guides and bird books you would
like to recycle are popular as well. We have a high percentage of families, so
children targeted magazines like Ranger Rick are popular as well.

Our event is September 19, 2015 from 9 AM-3 PM. You may send us or bring us
material from now through the morning of the event. Sorry, but we cannot pick
it up, nor will the County pay for shipping. However, if you would like to see
your magazines recycled for their contents and not just the paper, this is your
opportunity to share your love of nature and birds with others.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324