[texbirds] Recent birds at Kleb Woods

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:49:55 +0000

Our hummingbird feeders continue to hum with 20 or more Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds (RTHU) in spite of the frontal passages. On the 15th at our annual
Hummingbird Festival Sumita Prasad banded 45 RTHU. Had we been concentrating on
banding rather than showing people the process we could have easily banded more
than 100 birds as there were likely 200 or more in the gardens.  On Sept 14th
we had a male Rufous Hummingbird for a brief afternoon. This morning nine
photographers gathered on the porch to record the spectacle.

On yesterday's bird walk 15 birders added species number 232 to the park list,
a fly-by flock of Northern Pintail. We counted 101 Broadwing Hawks overhead
streaming southwest. We recorded our earliest Ruby-crowned Kinglet and
Clay-colored Sparrow. The sparrow was at the platform feeder opposite the
nature center but was not seen today. We recorded 3 Nashville Warblers, 1
Mourning Warbler, 2 Wilson's Warblers and 7 Pine Warblers. Brown-headed
Nuthatch was also recorded during the walk.

Bird walks are every Wednesday morning from 8:30-11 am and are free.  The park
is open 365 days a year from dawn to dusk and is also open free of charge.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park