[texbirds] Recent Sightings @ the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands

  • From: "Monica Barrera" <mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:32:48 +0000

 Hi All!

Pretty windy day today across the Valley, although it has calmed down a bit now
from this morning! Not as active a morning as I thought it would be along EWBC
grounds, but it could very well have been that some species escaped my sight
due to the wind. The male Green Kingfisher was spotted at Dragonfly Pond,
occasionally diving for some grub. A Black-and-White Warbler was seen within
the Forest Trail, along with an Orange-Crowned Warbler and some Northern
Cardinals who spent the morning singing away.

North Pond seems to be back to normal with the return of large numbers of
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, we missed them! Great Blue Herons, Black-Crowned
Night Herons and some Neotropic Cormorants chilled along the waters edge, and
American coots were seen foraging for food along with Common Gallinules and
Northern Shovelors.

Here's a list of today's sightings:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jan 29, 2013 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
33 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 105
Blue-winged Teal 30
Cinnamon Teal 2
Northern Shoveler 45
Green-winged Teal 35
Ruddy Duck 25
Plain Chachalaca 4
Neotropic Cormorant 26
Great Blue Heron 4
Great Egret 1
Snowy Egret 10
Black-crowned Night-Heron 8
Roseate Spoonbill 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Common Gallinule 2
American Coot 30
Black-necked Stilt 20
Inca Dove 3
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 2
Green Kingfisher 1
Great Kiskadee 2
White-eyed Vireo 1
House Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Northern Mockingbird 5
Long-billed Thrasher 2
Curve-billed Thrasher 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 5
Great-tailed Grackle 5
Lesser Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 5

Come visit us soon!

Monica Barrera
Interpretive Naturalist

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center
P.O. Box 1079
Edinburg, Texas 78540
956.381.9922 O 956.381.0715 F
mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx