[texbirds] Re: Re Tropical Mockingbird

  • From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:34:40 -0600

All -
Eric has posted a very good explanation of the problems that the TBRC faces
with these types of records; differences of opinion on what constitutes a
valid record for a species bring up some lively discussions among the
committee members. What constitutes evidence of an escaped bird, one with
human "assistance" or one that reached Texas "on it's own" can be argued
without either side being wrong. For example, if I recall correctly, the
Tropical Mockingbird was missing a claw, suggesting to some that it had
been in a cage and this could certainly be true, but I have handled many
wild birds with a missing claw, toe or even the whole foot. Similar
arguments may apply to plumage wear.

As Eric points, the committee acts on as much information as it can obtain
and individual members act as they interpret the evidence.

Keith Arnold
.Academician, TBRC