[texbirds] Ravens in Huntsville?

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:33:58 +0000

I am reading a book, Star of Destiny: The Private Life of Sam and Margaret
Houston, and learned from it that Sam Houston chose to build his home hear
Huntsville because he had seen ravens there while visiting the area. He named
his home Raven Hill as a result of this. Since he had been given the name Raven
by the Indians he always felt the ravens lead him to his proper path in life. I
think there is no doubt that he readily distinguished crows and ravens. No
doubt the Huntsville area looked very different in the 1840s that the thick
woods there today and likely ravens of both species were more numerous.
However, I am unaware of any raven record of either species for Walker or
adjacent counties. With a little more ferretting I think I may get a month if
not an exact date for his observation. If I can, don't get too excited when the
e-bird rare bird alert lists raven species for Walker County because the year
will be 1844!
Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377