[texbirds] Rarity update for the vicinity of Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 13:53:34 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
Lubbock County:  A swan was barely visible on Whisperwood Pond as we drove by
at first light - presumably the Trumpeter Swan that has been floating about for
a while.

Bailey County:  This morning working the canyons rising westward to the rim
from Lower Goose Lake at Muleshoe NWR Ross Rickett and I found (in descending
order of rarity) - 1 Mountain Chickadee (the fourth record for the LEAS region
but my first) with a group of a dozen or so Dark-eyed Juncos; 1 Cactus Wren (my
first on the refuge since 2006), and 1 Long-eared Owl (always a treat).  We
also had 17 Scaled Quails, 4 Rock Wrens, 1 Bewick's Wren, and 1 Rufous-crowned
Sparrow on the refuge.

Previous Mountain Chickadee records for the region include a 12/23/66 record
from Muleshoe NWR, a 12/30/66 record from Crosby County, and a 12/17/78 record
from Muleshoe NWR.

Cochran County:  At the Morton Cemetery we ran across 4 Western Bluebirds and 1
Townsend's Solitaire.  At Morton City Park we spotted 7 Cackling Geese and if
you knew Cochran County the way I know Cochran County you understand just how
exciting this was.

Lubbock County: We then received word of a Laughing Gull (found by Peter Keyel)
at Guy Park in Lubbock, dropped everything, and started the run eastward to
Lubbock.  Just as crossed the county line we got word that the bird had just
left the park in a northwestward direction and we resolved to check out all
appropriate parks.  We started at Leroy Elmore Park and had no luck.  Just as
we left Leroy Elmore Park we got a call from Steve Collins informing us that
the gull was at Andrews Park.  From 2:45 to 3:05 we hung out at Andrews Park,
enjoying the adult plumage Laughing Gull (the seventh record for the LEAS
region but another first for me).

Previous Laughing Gull records for the region include a 5/24/76-5/26/76 record
from Lubbock , and 8/17/80 record from White River Lake (Crosby County), a
10/18/83-10/23/83 record from Twin Ponds (Lubbock County), a 4/21/92 record
from Lubbock, a 5/15/96 record from Dupree Park (Lubbock County), and a
4/22/02-4/26/02 record from Earl Crow Park (Lubbock County).

It is a pretty fine day when you get to add Mountain Chickadee and Laughing
Gull to your regional list!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock