[texbirds] Raptor in Corpus Christi

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:58:34 +0000

Today at about 1:00 p.m. I spotted a juvenile-looking raptor in Rose Hill
Cemetery in Corpus Christi. It was sitting on a horizontal branch about 15
feet above the ground and I did not know what it was. Maybe someone can help.

The bird was facing me - wings and crown of head were chocolate brown - no
mottling or streaking. The breast and belly had a brown and white knitted
sweater look - more white than brown - and the feet were an orange-gold color.
It had red eyes and as it sat and preened and turned its head, it had the
appearance of wearing a Prince Valiant hairdo.

The tail was long and could be seen extending below the branch, with wide pale
markings on the ends of the feathers, like a Cooper's Hawk.

It finally flew, like a Cooper's, low thru the trees, and I lost it. There
were lots of people there for Father's Day and the bird did not seem fazed by
the activity. It had a really dark, chocolate look as it flew away, and a tail
with wide bands of brown and off-white.

Any ideas?

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi