[texbirds] RGV migrants, with photos

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:29 -0700 (PDT)

I birded four spots in the Rio Grande Valley last weekend on the lookout for
migrants. I had the best birding Saturday morning at South Padre Island
convention center, highlighted by seven brightly-plumaged warbler species, two
or three flycatcher species, and a  Black-billed Cuckoo. Warblers included
Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow, Wilson's, Nashville, Northern Waterthrush
and American Redstart.  There also was a possible Yellow-breasted Chat. I got
only a fleeting look. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were numerous, and fought
constantly at the feeders. There were no other birders for most of the morning.

On Friday evening there was a smattering of warblers in the parking area at
Resaca de la Palma State Park, including a juvenile Chestnut-sided Warbler.
There also was a Wood Stork in the first resaca on the park loop. I went to
Santa Ana early Sunday, but left after an hour because a work crew was on the
trails with noisy power equipment, driving the birds into cover. From there I
went to Estero Llano Grande, where I saw numerous Yellow Warblers, Wilson's
Warblers, an Olive-sided Flycatcher and a possible female Dickcissel/Grosbeak
perched in a tree that I could not ID.

Photo highlights are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

and one unidentified flycatcher here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/page2/