[texbirds] Re: RFI: South Texas in January vs March

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 07:38:20 -0600

sorry, forgot to add...
Regards,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been replying to some folks privately, but will add my $0.25 here as
well. I agree that the classic S. TX permanent residents can be seen in
both Jan. and March, but I tend strongly to believe that March is strange,
transition time, when many winter resident are gone or leaving and yet
summer residents are not here yet. Even Scissor-tails can be tough
sometimes until later in March, for example. As the weather gets warmer,
fewer birds come to feeders and some feeding stations are shut down, so
it can harder to see species like Audubon's Oriole at Salineno. I am not
into analyzing occurrences of rarities as much as others, but it seems to
me like Dec. and Jan. are slightly better than Feb. or March for tropical
wanderers, but I am least confident of that statement. Spring migrants, for
the most part, wait until April and even then can hit or miss, as we all
know. For my ornithology class in the Valley, I use March as a time to let
students do specific projects as we wait for the woods to fill up with
birds again. Obviously, any time of year can be great and folks have
pleasant trips at all times. Perhaps my perspective, as well as Dan , Mary
Beth, and others, is more of a Valley perspective, but I really do believe
there is some reality there,

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"BOTH times of the year can be excellent for birds in S TX, but someone
needs to define "good birds" before I agree or disagree with the
recommendation of January."
Amen...

Brush Freeman
Senior Wildlife Biologist/Partner. Bio-Spatial Services Inc, TXESA,
Independent consulting.
www.biospatialservices.com <http://www.biospatialsevices.com>
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM, Clay Taylor <
Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Stevan and North Dakota friends -

BOTH times of the year can be excellent for birds in S TX, but someone
needs to define "good birds" before I agree or disagree with the
recommendation of January.

1) if by "good birds" you mean species that cannot be seen in North
Dakota, then the South Texas regulars are a given - Chachalacas,
Kiskadees,
Rainbow (aka Green) Jays, Least Grebes, etc., are always there. Come
on
down anytime!

2) the species that will make the locals drop everything and rush to see
them are either a) Northern Vagrant species like Redpolls, Cassin's
Finches, Sage Thrashers, etc., (which North Dakotans probably could care
less about) or b) vagrants from Mexico and Central America like jacanas,
odd flycatchers and thrushes, Roadside Hawks, etc., which EVERYBODY
likely
would drop everything to chase. I am guessing that this is the group
you
are referring to, right?

The tricky part about Option 2b is that some years they arrive in
December
and stay all winter, other years they show up early in the winter, stay
few days, and then disappear. Still other years they do not show up
until
Feb - March, and then may or may-not stick around.

And some years there are NO southern rarities......

Overall, January will be a good time to escape a North Dakota winter,
but
March will get you early neotropical migrants, migrating raptors,
breeding
action among the local specialties (species like tyrranulets, Tropical
Parulas, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls, etc., are more territorial, vocal, and
thus easier to find), early arriving breeding migrants, and the weather
is
GORGEOUS (especially if you just endured January and February in ND!)

Bottom line - you will have a great time in either month. If you have
make arrangements NOW, how badly do you want to escape the snows of
ND? ;-)

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 26, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Mary Beth Stowe <
mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I concur with Dan: make it January! :-) Actually, the optimum time
IMHO is
late April/early May for spring migration, but is CAN get a little
warm
by
that time!

Mary Beth Stowe