[texbirds] Re: RFI - Help with Hawk?

  • From: Vicki Crutchfield <vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 07:34:58 -0800 (PST)

I can't see what is leading you to RLHA
I can see why someone might jump to Harrier, but looking at all the pics, I
thinks that is just the glow from the white part of the tail, not a true white
rump patch. Given the location, Harrier would be likely.

The wings don't quite seem right for a Harrier although a few of the shots make
the wings look a bit shorter, but the full extension of the wings looks more
like a Golden eagle in proportion and shape relative to the body.

The head color also lends itself to Golden, too much so for a Imm. Bald.

Also the wing shading lends itself more to Golden than imm. Bald.

My vote is Golden.

How high up was it?  In Sugarland I would expect a Harrier to be much lower,
somewhat unusual for them to soar high enough for the angles of these pics.
near the coast migrating they get up high, but not usually this time of the
year.

Vicki Crutchfield
Live Houston (Harris County)
and work in Galveston, (Galveston County)

Cell : 409-789-1178