[texbirds] Re: RFI - Help with Hawk?

  • From: Mark Scheuerman <mark.scheuerman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:58:52 -0600

Texbirders,
Thanks to those responding. So far there is no consensus on this
hawk. Maybe this bird can't be ID'd by these photos? Could it be a
Rough-Legged Hawk?
2 votes for Rough-Legged Hawk (including my vote for imm RLHA)
1 vote for Golden Eagle
1 vote for N. Harrier
1 vote for imm Bald Eagle

Funny, no votes for Red-tailed.

When I first saw this bird approaching, I thought wow, a weird Red-tailed.
I don't think its an eagle, I would have known that! I decided to try to
get photos rather than study the bird with binoculars. Maybe that was a
mistake. The sighting was not long as this bird was making time heading NE.
Sure would be nice to pin down an ID. It could be a new yard/local patch
bird.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104360545628872140517/20130127?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLCWubPlyNafHA&feat=directlink

Someone out there should be able to ID this bird.

Mark Scheuerman
Sugar Land, TX