[texbirds] RFI - Golden cheeked and BC Vireo near Hunt TX - results

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:10:43 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I had a number of requests to share
the information as well.

The 2 places suggested were Neal's Ranch and Kerr Wildlife Management
area. As I was staying about 2 miles from the latter, that is the
place my stepson and I went yesterday.

With Tony Galluci's excellent location for the vireo just near the
first windmill, along the second entrance road, it was seen quickly,
but not well as they stayed really hidden in the oaks.

This is the only photo.    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/151198072

Next we went to the Spring tract where there is a trail. We walked in
about 100 yards and finally saw some movement in a tree and some yellow.

There was a beautiful male Golden-cheeked Warbler preening!

This first photo shows a feather in his
beak..   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/151198069

A moment later he shook
himself...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/151198070

Then he flew to a lower branched and just perched still once
again...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/151198071

This was only my second time ever to see both of these birds and both
were lifers for my stepson Seth who is getting into birding and
photography in a big way.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX