[texbirds] Re: RFI Davis Mountains - Jeff Davis County

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rhardway21@xxxxxxxxx" <rhardway21@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:23:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robert,
You just missed an open weekend on The Nature Conservancy's Davis Mountains
Preserve.  Next open days are 19 October and 7 & 14 December (primarily
Christmas tree hunt day, but I think other access is allowed).  However, the
Madera Canyon Trail (just over 2 miles in length) accessed at the Lawrence E.
Wood picnic area is open to the public year-round during daylight hours.  The
picnic area itself can have good birding as well.  In terms of other birding
areas, the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute outside of Fort Davis might be
a site to try.

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701