[texbirds] Quintana-Brazoria NWR-Lafitte’s Cove May 5, 2012

  • From: Greg Lavaty <greglavaty@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 20:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yesterday Joanne Kamo and I spent most of the day birding from Quintana to
Lafitte’s Cove and had a very pleasant day.  I certainly felt that I had been
neglecting some of my favorite spring birding locations this year so it was a
good opportunity to make up for it a little.  At Quintana things were fairly
quiet with small numbers of birds but the few birds that were hanging around
were pretty exciting ones with Black-throated Blue and Cape May Warblers being
at the top of the list.  We had large numbers of Blue-winged Teal and Fulvous
Whistling-Ducks at Quintana and then many more when we headed to Brazoria NWR.
At Brazoria we also enjoyed lots of Dickcissels, Sora, Least Bitterns and the
other typical birds that call the refuge home for the summer.

We finished out our day at Lafitte’s Cove where we had more Black-throated Blue
Warblers as well as Worm-eating, Tennessee, Blackpoll and Wilson’s Warblers
among others.  Again numbers of birds didn’t seem terribly high but the birds
that were around were pretty exciting.

Some photos from the day can be seen here:
www.pbase.com/dadas115/new

Greg Lavaty
www.texastargetbirds.com
Sugar Land, TX