[texbirds] Quintana to Texas City Today, thrushes, black-throated blue warbler and black swan

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 18:45:01 -0500

I started the day on Bryan Beach at sunrise. Not too much variety in
shorebirds (carbirds, turnstones and black-bellied plovers) with most
scavenging leftovers from the weekend visitors. A single piping plover was
down near brazos mouth. It had a single yellow band on one leg.
Most of the migrants in neotropic were larger thrushes, catbirds, grosbeaks
etc. Both acadian and least flycatchers and a few warblers and vireos. The
rat people appreciated the birdseed.

Xeriscape had more thrushes and a "walder" type empidonax ranging over the
open area. Never called and stayed low much of the time. It acted like
willows used similar habitat in Iowa but could be anything.

The lagoons are starting to get some edge as they dry but not much of
interest. Only a single wilson's phalarope in the dredge pond which was not
operating. Quite a flock of gull-billed terns there.

The hurricane levee pond had a black swan mixed with phalaropes, eared
grebes and ruddy ducks. That made my 3rd swan species for the UTC this
spring. If the whoopers on Bolivar escape I can get 4 even before migration
starts.

Dos Vacos had lots of thrushes and a small group of warblers at the first
drip. Others appeared to be passing through rapidly toward the east.

Lafitte's again had lots of thrushes in the trees, ground and bushes. They
were really doing the lantana berries. The cooper's hawk chased something
over the main drip and then cornered a black and white warbler just outside
the area in an oak tree. The warbler dropped into the ornamentals on the
ground and the cooper's followed. Eventually the warbler and cooper's
headed back into the woods but not being chased.

A female black-throated blue warbler was near the exit on the east side.
Warblers were there but one had to work.

Settegast road had a little patch of both tanagers and warblers passing by
to the east.

Not much at the Texas City dike but lots of turnstones and sanderlings and
some black-bellied plover. Almost no terns and only a couple of gulls other
than laughing.

Birds did not really agree with my forecast but there was nothing to keep
them from leaving last night. And I got a black swan which is my second
time for Texas.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston