[texbirds] Quintana & Brazoria NWR (longish)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 20:00:55 -0500

Hi, all!

Definitely hitting the law of diminishing returns now, but the only new
species was nothing to sniff at (as you'll see later)! Mira Pellin joined
me today, and we met over at Quintana Sanctuary; I was concerned that we
were gonna get dumped on, as we drove through a pretty good rainstorm on the
way, but it had actually quit by the time we got there, and it was at that
time I discovered that I apparently left my walking stick somewhere!! The
only thing I can figure is that I left it leaning against the car at the
Xerescape parking lot, and I was so anxious to get away from the mosquitoes
that I forgot to throw it in the car! Oh well-there's always Walmart
tomorrow.

Mira had one of those great walkers that doubles as a seat, so we slowly
made our way around the trail; things were very quiet (surprisingly, as I
hoped the rain would have kept some stuff down), but Mira spotted a Northern
Waterthrush, and at the drip with the swing (where I had the frigatebird
yesterday) another guy was seated and waiting, so we chatted a little bit;
all he had seen were flashes of blue (which we also got to see), but a
female Blue Grosbeak did come in. We continued around, where a very
friendly Black-and-white Warbler came in to say hello, and a Pewee showed
off a little. Mira found a lens shade on the ground, so I went back to see
if it belonged to the guy, but he was gone, so I caught up to Mira again
where the only new bird we had was a male Yellowthroat and some Catbirds,
along with the friendly Lincoln's Sparrow who was now singing. I left Mira
at the observation deck while I circled around one more time to see if I
could find the guy, and back at the swing I did see one of his Indigo
Buntings on the ground, having a little scuffle with the Lincoln's Sparrow!
But then a warbler flew into the tree over the trail, and she popped out
long enough to show off her pretty bluish-greenish tint above - Cerulean! I
hurried back to tell Mira, not sure she'd want to go all the way around to
the drip again (the British photographer was off in a flash, no pun
intended), but she did, but we could never refind it (didn't really expect
to, as she had darted off). But the other folks had spotted Black-throated
Green and a Bay-breasted, so there was stuff moving!

The mosquitoes were just as bad (this little repellant clip-on doohickey
that Mira bought didn't work very well), so we decided to head on to
Brazoria, but first she took me down this dirt road to the marshes (on your
way out of Quintana, if you go straight instead of turning right onto the
main highway, you'll be on this dirt road), where a nice young Swainson's
Hawk posed, and we added a few things to the day list, including Sedge Wren,
Eastern Meadowlark, Blue-winged Teal, Coot, Solitary Sandpiper, and I heard
a Painted Bunting on the way out!

Once there at the Discovery Center at Brazoria NWR, Mira joined me in
Diggory and we did the BBS deal around the main drag. My Off wipes had long
since worn off (and I was down to one, so I didn't want to apply the last
one), so we put up with the blood donation. But it was quite productive:
there were tons of White Ibis out there, and the one good look at a
suspicious dark ibis I believe was a White-faced after all (at least I could
see some pinkish on the photos). At one stop I was listening while Mira was
still in the car, and I froze and pointed, and she very calmly announced
what was going through my head - Black Rail! I couldn't believe it! But
the only thing that surprised her was not the "what", but the "when"; she
thought it was a little late in the day for them to be calling!

A subadult Yellow-crowned Night Heron posed nicely (at least until Mira got
her camera out; she accidently turned on the delay button and it sounded
like one of those 24 episodes where the bomb is about to go off.), and at
the shorebird corner where I had the Baird's yesterday, I couldn't find
that, but I did find lots and lots of Stilt Sandpipers, a couple of
Semipalmated coming into breeding plumage, and two Semipalmated Plovers
along with everything else. A nice Pectoral Sandpiper allowed scope views
as well, along with Dunlin. At the turnaround point we had a great view of
the marsh (the lighting was just right) and added knockout gorgeous Roseate
Spoonbills, striking Avocets, four Reddish Egrets dancing away, and three
Shovelers along with the other stuff that was too far away to ID. We had
both about had it with the skeeters, so we abandoned the BBS protocol and
just headed out, adding a pair of Caracaras to the list and a couple of
Eastern Kingbirds.

Kissed Mira goodbye and headed to Port Lavaca after that, and then onward to
scout River Road, a spot that Michael Marsden had been bugging me to check
out! J It's just after you cross over the Guadeloupe River, and it is
indeed a promising-looking road, only it's an "Old Port Isabel" style road,
and I actually had to turn back at about the four-mile mark (and it looked
like it went into private property down the road anyway). But part of it is
actually in the Guadeloupe River WMA, so it's nice to know that there's a
section you can actually access! The wind was really picking up by the time
I scouted, but I could tell I'm nearing home as a Kiskadee sounded off in
the woodland! Added a handful of things for the day (including Bank
Swallows overhead), but a young Swainson's Hawk circling overhead was a nice
end to the day!

Headed back to the BW, and discovered that my friend Norma Friedrich was
also staying at the BW visiting family - what a hoot! (Just happened to
park next to their car.)

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron Nyctanassa violacea

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Black Rail Laterallus jamaicensis

Sora Porzana carolina

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Solitary Sandpiper Tringa solitaria

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Stilt Sandpiper Calidris himantopus

Dunlin Calidris alpina

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Pectoral Sandpiper Calidris melanotos

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Sandwich Tern

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

Purple Martin Progne subis

Bank Swallow Riparia riparia

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Northern Waterthrush Parkesia noveboracensis

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Cerulean Warbler Setophaga cerulea

Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheucticus ludovicianus

Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Boat-tailed Grackle Quiscalus major

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula

House Sparrow

87 SPECIES