[texbirds] Re: Question about Sapsuckers

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: glqman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:13:27 -0600

The throat pattern is a good field mark, and yes it could be a hybrid.  See
if you can get photos...I have seen perfectly normal looking YBSAs with a
tad of red in the nap on adult males....Don't know if they had foreign
blood or them or not...If the red was extensive in the nape then you are
looking at a RNSA or a hybrid leaning in that direction.  My sermon over.
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Robert White <glqman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry if this is trivial.
>
> Is it possible for a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker to have red on the nape?  It
> was separated from the crown but was not as bold as the crown. I've never
> observed this in a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker before.  Its throat looked like
> a YBSA.  I wondered if it was a hybrid.
>
> I observed it from about 20 feet in my back yard, which is in Spring, just
> north of Houston.
>
> Even though I couldn't find it in my field guides I expect you guys to
> tell me it's perfectly normal.
>
> -Bob White
>  Spring, TX

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
Son, Please don't become a birder.  You have your whole life ahead of you!