[texbirds] Purple Gallinule @ La Sal del Rey

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 16:56:19 -0500

Hi, all!

First, I need to clarify that the gallinule(s) were at the north end of
Brushline along the "La Sal del Rey Driving Route": if you take Brushline
north from SR 186 and just follow that as far as you can (the road makes a
hard right and a hard left before heading north again), there's a wetland on
the left side of the road shortly after making the hard left, and this is
where the bird was calling (and at present, there's a "lake" blocking the
road at about that spot). This is the same spot I had them in 2010. The
other highlight was a juvenile Black-throated Sparrow at the end of an
unmarked dead end that runs north from eastbound Brushline (this is the
general area where I've had Botteri's Sparrows, but they apparently aren't
in yet).

Full trip report with pictures and a lousy "proof" recording of the
gallinule is here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/May/La%20Sal%20
del%20Rey.html

.or here:

http://tinyurl.com/o6yzxuf

EBird List:

LRGV NWR Driving Route, Hidalgo, Texas, US May 28, 2015 6:40 AM - 11:30 AM

Protocol: Traveling

24.0 mile(s)

Comments: 80 o 92 degrees, overcast to mostly sunny, slight breeze with
gusts

57 species

Mottled Duck 1

Northern Bobwhite 27

Least Grebe 2

Great Egret 1

Snowy Egret 1

Green Heron 1

Turkey Vulture 5

Harris's Hawk 2

White-tailed Hawk 1

Swainson's Hawk 1

Purple Gallinule 1 Bird calling in wetland along north end of Brushline
(so there may have been two); notes deeper than Coot or Common Gallinule
vocalizations: single tenor "cup" calls and occasional
"tic-tic-tic-tic-eek-eek" calls with a bit of a deep timbre to the "eeks".
Attempted to attain recording; historically, several birds were found here
in June of 2010 during a wet year (photos and recordings obtained at that
time). This wetland now has lily pads growing in it!

Killdeer 1

Eurasian Collared-Dove 4

Inca Dove 2

Common Ground-Dove 3

White-tipped Dove 3

White-winged Dove 1

Mourning Dove 57

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 6

Greater Roadrunner 7

Groove-billed Ani 1

Common Nighthawk 8

Golden-fronted Woodpecker 14

Ladder-backed Woodpecker 7

Crested Caracara 7

Brown-crested Flycatcher 19

Great Kiskadee 8

Couch's Kingbird 11

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 12

Green Jay 2

Horned Lark 1

Black-crested Titmouse 7

Verdin 9

Bewick's Wren 15

Cactus Wren 4

Curve-billed Thrasher 5

Long-billed Thrasher 4

Northern Mockingbird 50

European Starling 1

Common Yellowthroat 1

Olive Sparrow 16

Cassin's Sparrow 1

Lark Sparrow 9

Black-throated Sparrow 1 Juvenile bird - probably dispersing

Northern Cardinal 16

Pyrrhuloxia 4

Blue Grosbeak 1

Painted Bunting 14