[texbirds] Progreso Sod Farms/Hidalgo Co. this afternoon

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:55:01 -0500

On a short run through the Progreso Sod Farms this Saturday afternoon I saw
10 American Golden Plovers, 1 Upland Sandpiper, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2
Killdeer and one unidentified peep.  Also in the Mesquite along the canal I
saw 5 Scissortail Flycatchers.
At Santa Ana NWR today I saw *2 Swallow-tailed Kites* that couldn't make up
their minds whether to head north or south, but gave us great looks during
that time.  Other than those 2 Kites things were rather slow while I was
there, with only a few Swainson's Hawks and a couple of Broad-wings.

At the Willow Lakes there were a good assortment of sandpipers including
Long-billed Dowitchers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Pectoral
Sandpipers and 1 Baird's Sandpiper, along with a good number of Least
Sandpipers.  Also present were 6 Cinnamon Teal, and 2 Fulvous Whistling
Ducks among the very large number of Blue-winged Teal.

There was also a *Louisiana Waterthrush* on Willow 2, and in that area I
also had a singing* Northern Beardless Tyrranulet*.

Pat DeWenter
Weslaco/Hidalgo Co.