[texbirds] Prairie Falcon (12/13/13) south Willacy Co. on CR 375 (Primrose Rd.)

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:34:02 -0600

Today, Friday 12/13/13, afternoon in south Willacy County we re-found the
Prairie Falcon that we originally had found on 10/27/13 along CR-375 (also
called Primrose CR) north of FM-1018. Today this bird, as on all the times
we have seen it--this year and last--was perched on the wooden cross-bar of
a utility pole on the east side of CR-375 (a caliche road), between FM-1018
and the first dirt farm road that crosses CR-375 as one heads north on it
after leaving FM-1018. The large water tower on the north side of FM-1018 at
CR-375 serves as a convenient landmark for those wishing to locate CR-375
while driving on FM-1018. Today we observed this falcon from about 12:25 to
12:40 and were able to obtain some distant photos. Please exercise caution
in visiting this very skittish species, respecting its need to be free of
undue disturbance in its selected winter area and the possible desires of
other birders to see this handsome falcon, which is somewhat rare in this
area. It should be viewed from a respectable distance. It will tolerate
neither close approaches nor rapidly executed ones. We have found it in this
location on roughly half of our visits this year to its wintering site.

Wishing everyone the best of winter birding, including in CBC efforts,
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX