[texbirds] Re: Possible Saw-whet Owl; Guadalupe MNTS NP

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "romeyswanson@xxxxxxxxx" <romeyswanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:16:50 -0400

Is there any chance it could be our favorite furry friend? Gray-footed Chipmunk
should be out in force right now and have a similar call.

Cameron Carver
OKC, Oklahoma

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 14, 2015, at 16:12, Romey Swanson <romeyswanson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Let me start with the disclaimer; I have zero experience and familiarity with
this species.

Yesterday, 13 AUG 2015, while backpacking in the Bowl area, I spurred off to
Hunter's Peak to enjoy the view. While there I heard a methodical owl whistle
at a cadence near one whistle per second. It reminded me very much of the
Pygmy-owl I observed in Pine Canyon, Big Bend National Park, earlier this
year (May). This bird called for about 5-10 minutes but stopped calling as I
approached it. It did not respond to my mimicking whistle. It never did a
double whistle like the Big Bend bird earlier this year.

It did not sound similar to the 'boot' call of a Flamulated nor did it
crescendo like a Screech-owl at any point.

I did not record the call (it had stopped at the point when I thought to
try).

I have no other documentation and share only to let others know whom might
make that hike anytime in the near future. I read over the TOS Handbook and
the location/habitat seems good with several historical observations.

If anybody out there thinks that I may have overlooked another owl/bird for
consideration, please let me know (appreciate the learning opportunity).

Also of note, I bumped into a nice patch of Pygmy Nuthatches and a Stellar's
Jay. These were seen at the Pine Top Campground.

I'll share a full report through my blog when I get back from the Davis
Mountains Preserve this weekend.

Romey Swanson
New Braunfels

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at