[texbirds] Re: Possible Common Merganser at Galveston Island State Park

  • From: Jack Evins <jcevins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bobwhitebsacbc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:07:23 -0600

We (wife, Debbie, and I) saw the bird well Saturday afternoon, around 4
p.m. It was in Jenkins Bayou just at or slightly left of the kayak launch
site accessed at the end of the road past the observation deck. It was
quite approachable. We're inclined to agree that its a Common Merganser,
probably a first-winter male. Attached (with luck) are two photos Debbie
took; hope these will help others review for possible confirmation.
Jack Evins
Galveston

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Bob White <bobwhitebsacbc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It was in Jenkins Bayou just beyond the end of the road past the
observation deck. Merganser bill, red head with clear border all the way
around neck, separating it from the top of the breast, which was white on
the front. Near end of body it had a white line angled up towards me the
back, but not well-defined. Head was redder than any female Hooded
Mergansers I've ever seen.

If anyone is in the area, please take a look and tell me I was wrong.

Bob White
Spring, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at