[texbirds] Possible Broad-tailed Hummingbird at Kleb Woods and HAS field trip

  • From: "Kleb Woods (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <klebwoods@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:51:21 +0000

This morning I found a possible Broad-tailed Hummingbird in the butterfly
garden at Kleb Woods.  We now have 3 Selasphorus hummingbirds in the garden.
Two of them are Rufous/Allens types, both with central metallic gorget
feathers.  The new hummingbird has no metallic gorget feathers, so you can
easily distinguish it from the others.  It also sounds different.  I have
photos and a voice recording if anyone is interested.  Also seen this morning
in and around the garden: American Goldfinch, Pine Siskin, lots of Cedar
Waxwings, Brown Creeper, and Winter Wren.
Yesterday, 25 people from the Houston Audubon Society came to Kleb Woods for a
guided bird walk.  The group found 37 species and got to look at several of the
species through the scope.  In fact, almost the entire group got to view a
Brown-headed Nuthatch that sat still for quite a while in the scope!  Other
highlights included a nice flock of Cedar Waxwings posing in a tree, American
Pipits at a fairly close distance, and 4 species of sparrows.

Our regular bird walks are held every Wednesday from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM and
the first Saturday of the month (that's next Saturday!) from 8:00 AM to 10:00
AM.  All bird walks are free and suitable for any age or skill level.  We meet
at the Nature Center, which is where the hummingbirds are, so come early and
search for the Broad-tailed!

Kendra Kocab
Naturalist: Kleb Woods Nature Center
Commissioner Steve Radack