[texbirds] Port O'Connor Loons

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 22:35:44 -0600

new really of interest but the loon people distinctly like the dredged
channels where the water is deeper and the trout lie deep in winter.  They
were lined up over in a row it as the sun set....They really show best in
the late afternoons.   There were more way out on the main main barge
channel but those are too far to ID....The ones I could ID were on the
"shrimper" channel that goes up to Lavaca Bay.  Water was a bit more choppy
than last eve, but was able to add four Buffleheads and two Blue-winged
Teal to my running total of "Square mile" birds.  There are those two small
dark birds on the water out there that frustrate me to no end...Maybe just
grebes...A Purple Martin came in and I thought it would roost in one of the
gourds but right as the light was fading it flew elsewhere.   There are
several more new martin colonies in town I notice...This could be
problematic as there is very little in the way of fresh water for a bigger
population, especially if we go go back into another rainless season that
is not adequate enough for them until July when they leave...Too many
martin houses, too little food and water resources me thinks.  Four Marbled
Godwits came  into the Dog and Kiddie beach across the street for about 5
minutes before a dog ran them off. (the blue jeep dog that comes everyday,
sometimes twice a day.)...Piping Plovers no longer use this beach, I reckon
because of all the dog traffic.  But the COC made it for people, not birds.
--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist