[texbirds] Port Aransas (longish)

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

For the last day of this "Big Week" I actually got to sleep in, as Paradise
 Pond was only five minutes away!  I still got lost:  according to the
little map I had, it was off Channel Vista Drive, but could find nothing but
houses, so decided to go ahead and go to the Turnbull Birding Center (since I
 knew where that was).  No crowds at all (in fact, there was only one other
 car there), and since it was still early it was still quiet, but I sat at
the  drip for five, enjoying a Catbird and a Swainson’s Thrush softly
singing from  the reeds.  Headed out on the boardwalk where I ran into the
other
birder,  and asked her where Paradise Pond was, and she told me to look for
the “Pepto  Bismol pink” Mexican restaurant, and it’s right behind it!  I
thanked her  and continued to bird the marsh, and I have to say I’ve never
seen so many  Nutria in my life!!  Had to admit they were cute, though…  Lots
of  Common Gallinules and Coots around, with the occasional Sora sounding
off.   Blue-winged Teal and Shovelers were tame, and male Ruddy Ducks were
doing their  cute little courtship display.  A Marsh Wren popped right out in
the open,  and a little brown birds near the reeds turned out to be a Northern
 Waterthrush.  In the shorebird department, Least and Pectoral Sandpipers
had their little skirmishes, and all three Threskiornithids flew over at one
 point or another.

Back at the trees, more people had arrived, and so had more  birds!  A
feeding flock of Tennessee Warblers dominated the scene, but  shortly other
goodies showed themselves, such as Chestnut-sided,  Black-and-white, and
Nashville Warblers, a Northern Parula, and a very friendly  Black-throated
Green!
But the star for many was a knockout male Blackpoll  Warbler that was very
cooperative (unlike the one at Lafitte’s Cove)!  Just  before I left a male
Baltimore Oriole swooped in and posed on the top of a  tree!

Finally tearing myself away I headed over to Paradise Pond, where I got
the last parking spot!  Here the volunteers put out oranges, but nothing  was
coming in to them at the moment (someone said a cat had gotten into  one).
There were a few little puddles where birds were coming in to drink,  and
this one had a Veery who seemed to like all the attention and came out in  the
open to pose repeatedly!  Folks came and went, but I stayed put for  five
minutes at a time, and seemed that something new came in with every time
segment!  After the Veery a Blue Grosbeak came in to drink, followed  shortly
by a Gray-cheeked Thrush!  One lady had been enjoying a female  Hooded
Warbler that occasionally came out and flipped her tail, and even though  I had
it
for the trip already, I was very pleased to see a Swainson’s Warbler  come
in to drink (as were several other folks)!

Headed on and staked out the end of the boardwalk for awhile; several
Indigo Buntings popped up along with a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak.   Chatted
with a couple of photographers (the guy was a dead-ringer for Russell  Crowe
:-)), and smiled at what was probably the same Veery showing off
practically at their feet!

It was tempting to return to the Birding Center to see if anything else had
 dropped in, but the morning was half over and I really wanted to try and
pad the  list with some coastal stuff.  It was hard deciding where to go, but
I  finally decided on Mustang Island SP and Padre Island NS, as those
beaches were  usually in pretty good shape from my experience.  And I had also
forgotten  that Aplomado Falcons occur along that stretch; didn’t see any, but
did pick up  a couple of White-tailed Hawks and a Caracara.  What I didn’t
count on was  a Clean Up Day at the state park (bless those kids for doing
that :-)), but then  saw that the beach was way too soft to drive on (at
least for Baxter—he may look  like Bippy, but I have no idea whether he’s AWD
or not)!  So I decided to  head for Padre Island, which had always had a
nice, wide, hard-packed beach—not  today!  So I parked and walked down to the
edge (seaweed was all over as  well) and picked up Ruddy Turnstones,
Sanderlings, Black-bellied Plovers, a few  Willets, and the usual Laughing
Gulls for
the day.

From there decided to check out Bird Basin, and noticed a van stopped  by
the side of the road:  I’m assuming it was an ABA van as it was full of
birders looking at something out in the grassland!  Couldn’t see anything
myself, so I headed on and swung around the boat ramp and day use area, only
picking up some White Pelicans and a couple of Reddish Egrets.  On the way  out
a Sedge Wren was singing, then spotted a bright orange blob out in the
middle of the grasslands:  a brilliant Baltimore Oriole!  Have no idea  if that’
s what the guys in the van were looking at, but it was an  attention-getter!

Swung into the Visitor Center parking lot to check out the tern flock
(lots of mating Royals and observing Sandwiches), then headed down to another
beach access that I could actually drive on this time; picked up a pair of
Least  Terns, but otherwise it was just more turnstones, Sanderlings, and
Black-bellied  Plovers.  But on the way out when I pulled over onto a dirt spot
to drain  the cooler, a dark bird was in the bush by the road that turned
out to be a  pretty Orchard Oriole!

Since it about noon I decided to call it a day and head on in to the
Valley, taking US 77 through the King
Ranch and then SR 187 over to US 281.  Everything was still here, and  I
was thankful to make it home in once piece! :-)  Final tally for the trip  was
217 species.  Have lots of pictures and recordings to process yet, so  will
send out another post when everything's up on the website!

Bird List:

  Mottled  Duck                           Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Northern  Shoveler                      Anas clypeata
Ruddy  Duck                             Oxyura jamaicensis
Pied-billed  Grebe                      Podilymbus podiceps
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Double-crested  Cormorant               Phalacrocorax auritus
American White  Pelican                 Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Brown  Pelican                          Pelecanus occidentalis
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Reddish  Egret                          Egretta rufescens
Green  Heron                            Butorides virescens
Black-crowned  Night-Heron              Nycticorax nycticorax
Yellow-crowned  Night-Heron             Nyctanassa violacea
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
White-faced  Ibis                       Plegadis chihi
Roseate  Spoonbill                      Platalea ajaja
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Sora                                   Porzana carolina
Common  Gallinule                       Gallinula galeata
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
Black-bellied  Plover                   Pluvialis squatarola
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Lesser  Yellowlegs                      Tringa flavipes
Ruddy  Turnstone                        Arenaria interpres
Sanderling                             Calidris alba
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Ring-billed  Gull                       Larus delawarensis
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Gull-billed  Tern                       Gelochelidon nilotica
Caspian  Tern                           Hydroprogne caspia
Royal  Tern                             Thalasseus maximus
Sandwich  Tern                          Thalasseus sandvicensis
Black  Skimmer                          Rynchops niger
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Common  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles minor
Chimney Swift
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Sedge  Wren                             Cistothorus platensis
Marsh  Wren                             Cistothorus palustris
Veery                                  Catharus fuscescens
Gray-cheeked  Thrush                    Catharus minimus
Swainson's  Thrush                      Catharus ustulatus
Gray  Catbird                           Dumetella carolinensis
Brown  Thrasher                         Toxostoma rufum
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European Starling
Northern  Waterthrush                   Parkesia noveboracensis
Black-and-white  Warbler                Mniotilta varia
Swainson's  Warbler                     Limnothlypis swainsonii
Tennessee  Warbler                      Oreothlypis peregrina
Nashville  Warbler                      Oreothlypis ruficapilla
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Hooded  Warbler                         Setophaga citrina
Northern  Parula                        Setophaga americana
Chestnut-sided  Warbler                 Setophaga pensylvanica
Blackpoll  Warbler                      Setophaga striata
Black-throated Green  Warbler          Setophaga  virens
Savannah  Sparrow                       Passerculus sandwichensis
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Rose-breasted  Grosbeak                 Pheucticus ludovicianus
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Indigo  Bunting                         Passerina cyanea
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Baltimore  Oriole                       Icterus galbula
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus

84 SPECIES
For the trip: 217

Mary Beth Stowe
McAllen,  TX