[texbirds] Port Aransas 8-8-12

  • From: Sonny & Iris Bratz <ibratz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 15:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

I birded several spots in Port Aransas this morning and was able to tally 66
species, including 20 shorebird species.  I spent most of the time at the
Birding Center and driving the beach from Beach Access Road No. 2 (Marker 99)
to the Mustang Island Park jetties. It is so incredible to be able to get so
close to these shorebirds!

I counted 12 Least Bittern perched in the reeds at the BC - this was about 7:15
am.  .

A single Red Knot (banded) was at marker 103.  Several Black-bellied plovers
were in alternate plumage.  All were on the Beachfront.  Many of the Piping
Plovers were banded.  The 8 American Oyster Catchers were in a group near the
Red Knot.

Paradise Pond and the Wetlands Overlook are completely dry as is much of
Charlie's Pasture/Port A Nature Preserve (phases 1 and 2).

Sonny Bratz, Victoria

Complete list follows:

Port Aransas, Nueces, US-TX
Aug 8, 2012 7:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Birding Center, Golf Course, Beach Marker 99 to MISP Jetty,
Charlie's Phase 2, Wilson's Cut
66 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  5
Mottled Duck  12