[texbirds] Port Aransas 12-28: Northern Gannets, Reddish Egret

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:53:43 -0600

Yesterday, my mom, Billy Kaselow and I drove down to Port Aransas via 37.
Highlights en route included:
HUGE numbers of Geese at the feedlot on CR 412 in Atascosa County...over
1000 Snow Geese, 300 Ross's Geese, 10~ Greater White-fronted Geese, and
about 20 Sandhill Cranes. Also a Say's Phoebe and Pyrrhuloxia was in the
area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8319744377/in/photostream/
The usual stuff at Choke Canyon, but Green Jays, Long-billed Thrasher,
Black-and-White Warbler, Olive Sparrow, Mottled Duck, and Tricolored Heron
were nice.
GREJ:http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8319741671/in/photostream/
LBTH:http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8319742903/in/photostream/
OLSP:http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8320935194/in/photostream
Long-billed Curlew and Marbled Godwit were in the mudflats at Packery
Channel in Corpus.
This morning started off foggy, windy, and slow bird-wise. Nothing of note
at Charlie's Pasture and the Turnbull Birding Center, but things started to
pick up around 9:30, starting with a Couch's Kingbird at Paradise Pond. We
then headed to Port Aransas Wetlands Park (pull off on S. Allister) and had
a Wilson's Phalarope as well as a White-morph Reddish Egret.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8319740923/in/photostream/
We then moved on toward the jetty, and while there weren't good numbers of
ducks and such on the water (1 Greater Scaup, 1 Common Loon, and a
scattering of Red-breated Mergansers), but we had at least 4 Northern
Gannets, 3 adult birds and 1 first year bird that came very close to the
end of the jetty. We drove along the beach for a while, but no gulls or
shorebirds of note. We then headed back to Austin.
Gannets:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8320800652/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8320800092/in/photostream/

We stopped at Goliad State Park on the way back to Austin, and had several
Green Jays, a pair of Great Kiskadees, and an overwintering Wilson's
Warbler and White-eyed Vireo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8319735069/in/photostream

Good Birding,
Sam Fason, Austin.