[texbirds] Re: Pomarine Jaeger and Surf Scoter at Bolivar

  • From: Barbara Tilton <bjtilton2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: txbarnowl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:29:04 -0500

James & I just saw a Surf Scott on the High Island beach...left at HWY 124
& 87 about 7:00 this evening.
Barbara Tilton
On Jun 4, 2015 11:04 AM, "James Barnes" <txbarnowl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Two Scoter's were rescued today by Turtle rescue in Bolivar and brought to
the Wildlife Center of Texas. The primaries on both birds are ragged and in
very bad shape.
One was a male Surf Scoter, which after seeing the condition of the birds
wings, it looks like the one that Greg had photographed and posted earlier
in the week.

I believe the other is a female Black Scoter. Or is it? Please check the
link to some pics. I apologize that three of the pics aren't in focus, the
bugger wouldn't stay still. Could this be the female that was seen earlier
in the week?

https://plus.google.com/118269888448925080749/posts/hr12oQmXEua

James Barnes
Missouri City, Fort Bend, Texas

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Annette and I had great luck with the Jaeger and Scoter today and was
able
to get close photos. When we were about to give up on the Jaeger on the
beach by High Island I turned for one last look and there it was less
then
50 feet from us.
Here is a photo of it eating a fish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/18296679986/in/dateposted-public/
Annette and I then went for the Scoter on the jetty on 17th street at
Bolivar. I was scanning the water, then Annette spotted it on the beach
very close to us.
Here is a photo of it flapping its wings. The wings look very bad so it
could be there a while.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/18296433536/in/dateposted-public/

Here is a photo of it standing on the beach.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/18323049195/in/dateposted-public/

We talked to a fisherman that said the Scoter had been there for about a
month.

Greg Page
Houston

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission