[texbirds] Pomarine Jaeger, Galveston and Chambers County

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 10:57:18 -0500

All

We arrived at the Pomarine jaeger spot on the beach near the intersection of
124 and 87 about 8:00 this morning only to hear that the bird had flushed and
flown east. We walked down the beach 1/2 to 3/4 mile past the big sign that is
right by where the road drops off a small cliff. The bird was sitting on the
beach down there. It flushed again and flew east but then when we were walking
back it flew by us going back west. When we got back to the truck and drove
back towards 87 it was sitting on the beach where others told us it had
originally been seen.

It spent a while picking at a dead fish and then when a car drove by and it
flushed a short way east. When someone walking along the beach flushed it again
it flew west, briefly landed on the water and then flew west again out of site.

It seemed to fly fine and we saw it standing on both legs with no wing droop.
Hopefully it is fine. At any rate it seems to really like that stretch of beach
where fisherman leave dead fish. Easy pickings I guess.

Sue

Susan Heath
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
Lake Jackson, TX