[texbirds] Pollywog Pond highlights including warbling vireo, solitary sandpiper and downy woodpecker

  • From: David True <davidttrue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:39:03 -0500

I decided to take my day off from Aransas National Wildlife Refuge to explore
some areas around Corpus Christi and had some real surprises on this late
January day.  Pollywog Ponds was really fantastic.  Some surprising birds were
found with great views around the wetlands and near the beginning of the trail
near the parking area.  Here are some of the highlights:

A large flock of songbirds, doves and woodpeckers were near the parking area of
Pollywog Ponds in great view.  This included:
Warbling Vireo - one bird well identified mixed with goldfinches, warblers,
vireos and woodpeckers.  Seems quite early to have one of these but it was an
easy ID and in good view.
Blue-headed Vireo - near the Warbling Vireo and what I expected to find instead
of with the other vireo.
Downy Woodpecker - a female mixed with many other birds, particularly other
woodpeckers.  Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, Golden-fronted Woodpeckers and several
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were near it.
Lesser and American Goldfinch - both singing and quite visible in the trees
near the parking lot area.
Lots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.
Several Couch's Kingbirds calling from the tops of the trees.
Solitary Sandpiper - this bird was vocal and active on a mudflat along the
river in the back of the ponds.  It remained in good view for at least 10
minutes.

As always at Pollywog Ponds, there were also good numbers of waterfowl and
grebes, with several Hooded Mergansers, a Ruddy Duck and many Ring-necked
Ducks.  Most of the dabblers expected from this region were there as well.
Only missed Mallard, Northern Pintail and Cinnamon Teal.  Lots of Pied-billed
and Least Grebes.

I also stopped at Indian Point Park and Hazel Bazemore Park with smaller
numbers but still good birds, particularly shorebirds although mostly common
stuff.  Avocets were in both parks.  Many Black Skimmers along the shoreline at
Indian Point.

Certainly a fun day to be out!

David True
Park Ranger