[texbirds] Plovers at Bolivar Flats on Tuesday, the 6th

  • From: "paul sellin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "pjsellin@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:35:45 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Texbirders,I've added four images, taken at Bolivar Flats yesterday, the
6th, to my old InspectorBob Photobucket account.
Bolivar Flats 6-Jan-2014 Photos by INSPECTORBOB11 on Photobucket
Images 5002, 5003 and 5004, taken in a seven second span, are of a
Black-bellied Plover.  5003 and 5004 show how the plumage pattern looks Whale
Shark-like in the rather strong, side lighting. The colors look "warmer" than I
would have expected, even if the image could be slightly overexposed. I welcome
comments and corrections.
The fourth image, 5019, is the recently discovered Mountain Plover, in a
similar pose as in 5003 and 5004.
Thank you, young couple at the bollards, for getting me pointed in the right
direction on the flats.  It was near low tide, around 10:15 am, and the
Mountain Plover (lifer) and Black-bellied were feeding on a water-isolated bar
about 200 yards east of Rettilon Road and about 75 feet out from the mud line
on shore. Piping Plovers were also nearby.
Stay warm.Paul Sellin
SW Houston