[texbirds] Pitchfork Pond-- A few interesting ducks

  • From: J B <renreb1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:06:59 -0700 (PDT)

Had a few interesting ducks during a brief stop at La Grange's Pitchfork Pond
Sunday afternoon.

A first fall American Wigeon male seemed quite unusual for July in Fayette
County. ebird didn't have any july 2012 american wigeons anywhere nearby but
did have some july records in Austin quite some time ago.

Also one Black-bellied whistling duck (B-B W-D) parent with nineteen ducklings.
Talk about some nightmarish single-parenting!

From what I can tell normally 12-16 eggs are usually laid and typically only
one brood per year for B-B W-D. Nineteen seemed like a relatively high number
of hatched and thus-far surviving ducklings especially when I only saw one
parent during my twenty minutes there.
Does anybody have more info on unusualness of either sighting--would be
interested in an offline email

John Berner
West Houston/Katy