[texbirds] Photos from weekend on coast

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:46:07 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

I birded several migrant spots this weekend. Here are some photos.
The most common birds were orioles, tanagers and Indigo Buntings.
Warblers were relatively uncommon.

One of my favorite birds are the 1st summer male Summer Tanagers in
varying stages of molt form green to red.

This one has some red on face, but green rump.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325521

This one has almost compete red face and red rump.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325522

This third one is all red except for patch on neck and some on wings.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325523

There were so many Scarlet Tanagers, that I saw shades form scarlet
to orange on the same branch.
This was the first one I saw eating the citrus. It is dark scarlet.
It was at LaFitte's Saturday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325524

And this one is more orange. It was at Quintana Saturday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325525

I saw several plumages of Blue Grosbeak. This adult male was at
LaFittes Friday afternoon.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325526

On Retillon Road on Bolivar Sunday morning, there were 2 birds. This
one is a female.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325527

And this is a first year  male wit the blue face and tail. My first
time to see this particular coloration.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325528

This Common Yellowthroat put on a show at LaFittes on Friday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325529

But this Yellow-breasted Chat played hide and seek with the
photographers Saturday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325551

My FOS Yellow-billed Cuckoo was by the drip at LaFittes on Saturday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155325552

Altogether a great weekend!

Good birding and pray for a fallout!

David McDonald