[texbirds] Photos from Quintana on Tuesday, 9-Oct-12

  • From: paul sellin <pjsellin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:43:39 -0700 (PDT)

We visited the Quintana area from late morning to mid-afternoon of Tuesday,
9-Oct-12, spending most of the time at the beautifully maintained Neotropical
Bird Sanctuary; plus a brief drive-by of the Xeroscape lot and briefly at the
Jetty and adjacent beach.
Someone had written up a great list of birds found at the Neotropical site the
day before. We couldnât add anything, except a flyby Rufous/Allenâs hummer
(run off immediately by two of the 6 to 8 Ruby-throateds in the sanctuary). On
the list was a scratched off Black-headed Grosbeak, and substituted
Rose-breasted entry.
I present a Flickr photo set of three individual Grosbeaks for your analysis,
if youâd like to go there. I could only say for sure that one of the
individuals is a Rose-breasted. I understand that Black-headed are very rare
for Quintana (three records in eBirds, two between early to mid-October), so
this is a good time to ask for comments.
Quintana Grosbeak link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43703131@N05/sets/72157631739697277/
Eight of the twelve photos in set, linked below, are from the Neotropical
Sanctuary. DelorisâÂfind of the gorgeous male Scarlet Tanager was at the
T-intersection of the main road and the road to the County Park, so right on
the edge of the Xeroscape lot. The set also has a gull photo, maybe of a first
winter Lesser Black-backed. TEXBIRDS has had some message strings about
under-reporting of these gulls. Is this one of those? I have other photos of
Gull at the jetty beach, if youâd like to see them.
Quintana area link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43703131@N05/sets/72157631739890953/
Take care,
Paul Sellin