[texbirds] Re: Photography versus sketching

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "antshrike1@xxxxxxx" <antshrike1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 19:26:53 -0500

If your goal is to study the bird, do whatever you like. Different people learn
birds differently. If your goal is to document a bird, getting a photo will go
a long way. I am not a big fan of written descriptions or sketches to
corroborate a report. People are prone to exaggerate, misjudge, lie or allow
themselves to be influenced by what they read or expect to see. While photos
can be manipulated, they tend to do a much better job of capturing reality.

This all comes back to Heidi's bird(s). Her sketch helps ID the bird, but
knowing her ability to identify the species is more important to accepting the
record. Now she has a second bird that she believes is a new bird. While we
could put trust in her sketch that it matches what the bird actually looked
like, a photo would actually show reality. We could then compare that bird's
photo with the bird from today and draw a much better conclusion. Instead of
"possibly two different birds" it could be "definitely two different birds" if
there was a photo.

So, sketching to study? Do it. Personally, I like to simply observe the bird
and store it in my mind palace. Sketching to document? Practically obsolete.

As one last argument against sketching: I had an observer document a rare bird
with a sketch. It was a beautiful sketch - it looked just like the book. The
next day another observer found the same bird and photographed it. The two
observers agreed that the bird photographed was the same bird as the day
before. It was a completely different species than what was sketched...

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhone