[texbirds] Re: Passing of Steve Gross

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx'" <pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:45:51 +0000

While I did not know Steve as well as would have liked to, I knew a few things
about him from personal contact that seem appropriate to share. While he
enjoyed listing and no doubt was gratified by the Amazon Kingfisher as a
listing milestone for the year, he appreciated birds for their art and beauty
as much as for their field marks and distribution. Steve was a gregarious sort
and enjoyed music. He liked sharing birds and their interesting qualities with
everyone he met. Birds were such an important part of his life that he felt
obligated to share them with those who had not yet become aware of their
ability to enrich one's life. He gave generously of his time to further that
objective to share birds with others. It cost him time he would have liked to
have spent watching birds. Time which we all now know he could ill afford.
I pray he was a Christian and will now have time eternal to fulfil his spirit.
No doubt God will have a special field trip for him where he can relax and be
the participant and become intimate with the full and deep beauty of birds
beyond his dreams.

Thank you Steve for sharing the joy you find in birds with all of us.

Fred Collins

TOS Life Member, HAS and KPC Advisory Board Member

Director of Kleb Woods Nature Center
for Commissioner Radack, Pct 3 Harris County, Texas