[texbirds] Parrots and such

  • From: jgstudio@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:46:01 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday evening 10 of us El Pasoans ventured forth in 100 degree heat on a
field trip of the local Audubon chapter ably led by Mark Perkins. We started
shortly before 6:00 pm. to bird the Upper Valley area from Keystone Wetlands to
the canonical parrot location. It was good to see some new faces as well as
some I haven't seen in a while.
Keystone was woefully low on water. Our area is devastated by drought.
Nevertheless, we had Common Gallinule, Wood Ducks, Mexican Mallards, a single
Ruddy Duck (spanking plumage) and a few more things. We all got great looks at
a perched juvenile Mississippi Kite, and a parent and fledgling Swainson's Hawk
right by their nest (late?) and Bullock's Oriole on Frontera at Emory. From
there we looked in vain for the Red-headed Woodpecker near the Country Club but
did see two of the Acorn Woodpeckers which have recently colonized the area.
Next was the main event: watching our resident Lilac-crowned Parrots fly in to
roost. I counted somewhere north of 20 but am fairly sure there were several
more in small noisy groups. They tend to roost in several groups lately, in
fairly close proximity. I counted 39 in one group before our catastrophic
freeze a couple of years ago.

One of the new faces in the group turned out to be a long-time birder in the
Upper Valley. She mentioned that several years ago she spoke with one of the
residents of the parrot neighborhood who had found a couple of nestlings on the
ground in her yard--evidence of breeding. I don't think this population is ABA
countable, but it certainly should be. They have been around of at least  20
years and are certainly breeding.

Anyway, a fine end to the trip and kudos to Mark.

John Groves
El Paso