[texbirds] Park pictures, Calliope hummingbird, greater pewee,

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:34:01 -0600

I have been taking a few shorter trips to some of the parks around town.
Sunday was at Russ Pittman park with the hummingbirds and other birds. The
male calliope was the star of the show
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572154
One has to get the right angle to get the throat feathers to show color
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572152

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572153

The calliope worked different patches of shrimp plant as the day went on.
Note that shrimp plants produce nectar when they are in the sun so hummers
will move as plants get into the sun
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572150

The bird perched in the trees near its food and was actually quite tame and
ignored people when in the open unlike its more nervous state earlier back
in cover
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572149

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572138

The broad-tailed hummingbird used some of the same perches but stayed more
in cover where my camera setup is not as happy
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572094

Several monk parakeets are eating alder seeds in the park. This bird was
one of three that spent some time until run off by an male cooper's hawk
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572090

The day before, I spent another try for the greater pewee in Bear Creek
Park and had him feeding in tree tops for about 25 minutes
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572026

It pipped softly when flycatching which helped to keep track of it
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572016

And posed well for all present
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572013

It moved along with a flock of winter birds, mainly both kinglets,
creepers, pine warblers and bluebirds. I did not see it with the local
titmice and chickadees
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572010

Eastern bluebirds perched in the same tips
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571999

And are mainly ground feeders after spotting prey from a perch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572004

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147572003

The young of the year red-headed woodpecker has drilled a hole nearby
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571998

Arthur Storey park has a northern pintail in the gazebo pond again with the
tame mallards. It is molting into its breeding plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571984

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571983

The spotted sandpiper is also back along Brae's bayou feeding in the
creatures created by the sewage water which was very smelly while I was
there.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571990

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571989

The white ibis and cattle egrets are also along the bayou
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/147571991

A large population of both cormorants and white pelicans is roosting on the
island along with a good number of herons. Many coots on the lake but not
many wild ducks. Land birds included a pipit flock. The park has left the
brush and weeds along the lake shore as bird habitat but I could not squeak
up many sparrows in the really good food crop as there were many walkers,
dogs etc. around.

All of the pictures and more can be browsed from
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston