[texbirds] Panhandle Birding,1/2-NOV 2014, Cassin's Finch, Northern Shrike and Sandhill Cranes

  • From: "Barrett Pierce" <bpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 14:26:54 -0600

On Saturday 1-NOV 2014 two Cassin's Finch and a Gray Catbird continued at
the blind in Palo Duro Canyon SP along with the Mountain Bluebirds. Just
outside the park on Sunday Canyon Road just south of FM 217 I found a FOS
Northern Shrike and more Mountain Bluebirds.

A few Sandhill Cranes have been arriving in the Panhandle for the last two
weeks or so. Yesterday's cold front left large flocks of Sandhill Cranes  in
western Carson County this morning, 2-NOV 2014. Large flocks of Brown-headed
Cowbirds, Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles and European Starlings were
also present. I did not find a Sprague's Pipit (I need help with this one!)
but around standing pools of irrigation water I did see numbers of American
Pipits some of which had had light colored legs.

Barrett Pierce

Amarillo, TX