[texbirds] Palm Warblers in San Antonio, plus a request about Sabine woodpeckers

  • From: Martin Reid <upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:29:23 -0500

Dear All,
Late this morning I saw two Palm Warblers (very dull on the underparts) in tall
trees on private property just north of downtown San Antonio - a bit early?

At about the same time that the Tropical Mockingbird was found at Sabine Woods
a Melanerpes woodpecker was also found there that seemed to be similar to
Golden-fronted, but more like one of the more-southern races - or possibly like
a hybrid with Red-bellied.  Over the next couple of months I recall people
reporting variously two Golden-fronted, two hybrids, one of each, etc.  On
Saturday I was at Sabine Woods (BTW 500+ Ruby-throats there) and photographed
two such woodpeckers: one looked like a female Golden-fronted but with an
abnormally long bill, and the other looked a bit like a hybrid, but actually
more like an intergrade between the Golden-fronteds we get in Texas and those
found on the Yucatan.  These two birds behaved like a couple.
The TBRC plans to investigate these Melanerpes woodpeckers at Sabine Woods, and
to that end I'd appreciate it if anyone with photos of ANY Melanerpes
woodpecker from Sabine Woods this year would forward copies to me, with the
date.  I have found some photos on Dan Lane's Flickr page showing one such bird
from Sabine Woods on April 30 this year, and it appears to be a different bird
from the two I photographed on Saturday...
Regards,
Martin

---
Martin Reid