[texbirds] Palacios local interest - Beachside development

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:19:30 -0500

This morning I spent about 2 hours at the Beachside development, just off
Marine Center Dr. Sorry, no Gray Kingbird this year, though I did look since
the bird last year showed up on July 2.  We can always hope :-)

There was a juvenile White-eyed Vireo, female Ladder-backed Woodpecker and
calling Yellow-billed Cuckoo in the Huisache scrub.  I thought I heard an
Ash-throated Flycatcher but the local Mockingbirds were doing excellent
imitations of Willet, Yellowlegs, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and Blue Jay so I
can't be sure about the Ash-throated.

There were good numbers of Bobwhite in the fields around the development but I
observed no young birds.  Same goes for Eastern Meadowlark; probably a dozen
and a half adults around but no young.  Though I did see one Meadowlark
carrying a food item so there may be a nest in the one of the nearby fields.

In the small freshwater marsh near the model home a Green Heron was sitting a
nest and the Grackles were still in various stages of nesting.  A pair of
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks flew over.

Along the shore of Turtle Creek Bay were some Wood Ibis, Roseate Spoonbills,
some Long-billed Curlews and a HY Gull-billed Tern.  Out on the long spit of
land to the east, separating Tres Palacios from Turtle Creek Bays, there was a
pair of Wilson's Plovers and about 2 dozen Least Terns.  One brought a Mud
Minnow to another bird but was snubbed so he(?) promptly ate the minnow; can't
let good food go to waste.  I did not observe any nests, young or HY Least
Terns.  I wonder if the local Laughing Gulls did a number on their nesting
efforts.

Plenty of the other usual suspects around though nothing out of the ordinary.
It was a very pleasant morning.

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios / Houston
Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at