[texbirds] Painted Redstart at Brooks County Rest Area today

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:42:11 -0500

Returning from a family-related trip today (Aug. 26), Ki and I were very
happy to see a Painted Redstart along US 281, at the Brooks County Rest
Area. This is a few miles south of Falfurrias and about 55 miles north of
Edinburg. We had seen about 10 Lesser Goldfinches at the nice
water-feature, as well as some Eastern Bluebirds (including at least 2
spot-breasted juveniles). We decided to check the north loop trail, a shor
trail which starts at a little gate north of the rest rooms. After seeing a
Ladder-backed Woodpecker and another group of Eastern Bluebirds, I picked
out the unmistakeable black, white and red Painted Redstart foraging
actively in some oaks (including some quick flycatching forays). I assume
it's a fall migrant, returning from wherever, since this is the third fall
one has been seen there. Here's hoping it will stay for the whole season!
Thought I'd let people know via Facebook and now Texbirds list-serve!

Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX