[texbirds] Padre Island National Seashore Saturday

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 08:41:36 -0500

Yesterday I was laying out a new Breeding Bird Survey route at Padre Island
National Seashore.  There were lots of birds along the beach portion.  I
only conducted quick counts while I was recording the points.  There were a
LOT more birds than I counted.
There were a few species that were running a bit late in their migration:
American Golden-plover - 2, Semi-palmated Plover - 1, and Baird's Sandpiper
- 4.  Other species recorded were

Brown Pelican - 32
Great Blue Heron - 2
Cattle Egret - 125
Black-bellied Plover - 12
Wilson's Plover - 1
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
Willet - 12
Ruddy Turnstone - 181
Sanderling - 153
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 7
Wilson's Phalarope - 3
Laughing Gull - 107
Herring Gull - 1
Least Tern - 2
Caspian Tern - 27
Black Tern - 9
Barn Swallow - 65

--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein