[texbirds] Re: Pacific loon pictures

  • From: "Arlie Cooksey" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mbkircus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:32:27 -0600

I think you might want to consider winter Common Loon for this bird, for the

following reasons: white extending from the cheek to above and front of the

eye usually eliminates winter PALO. The white of the throat/neck extends

in a "notch" towards the back of the neck, indicative of COLO. The forehead

shows a sharp bump, typical of COLO, and if present in PALO, normally much

more reduced than this.  Bill seems much fuller and heavier than the
straight,

thin bill of PALO, typical of COLO.

Mel Cooksey

Corpus Christi