[texbirds] Re: Pacific Wren at CMO

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:32:18 -0600

Carolyn and TexBirders,

I hadn't had a chance to post a note since the first report of the
CMO wren but it will be VERY important to make recordings of any and
all sounds that the Christmas Mts wren utters.  We documented a wren
on the Granger Lake CBC last year--including vocal recordings--that
looks like a perfect Pacific Wren but it uttered various sounds that
were (a) ambiguous when reviewed by experts, and/or (b) just like a
Winter Wren.  I'm preparing an article (prob. for TOS Bulletin) which
will conclude that our Granger wren is *unidentifiable* even with
photos and recordings.  A bird in the Trans-Pecos might be either
species so vast documentation will be appropriate--and photos alone
probably won't solidify the ID.  Hope the bird is still present after
the windy weather.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX