[texbirds] Re: Owl Attack

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "lmj6464" for DMARC)
  • To: genemajors@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:53:24 -0400

Gene,
Many moons ago I had a screech owl hit the back of my head as I walked out of
the chemistry building on the Rice University campus late at night.

More to the point of your report is something that happened to me at Muleshoe
NWR in the 1980's. I was walking along a path around one of the lakes, which
was about five feet below the surface of the surrounding prairie. This was in
the winter and I was wearing a wool cap. Every now and then I would look up to
see what might be happening on the prairie. One one of these occasions, I saw
a Golden Eagle headed straight for me, about fifty feet away. Fortunately the
bird saw my face and flared away. I assumed it saw the top of my cap moving
along and thought it was some sort of rabbit or some other prey species, and
decided to investigate. That bird looked as big as a B-52 when it was headed
my way. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Larry Jordan
Corpus Christi