[texbirds] Osprey nest by Lake Houston

  • From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:09:31 -0500

I saw a juvenile in the nest that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. The
nest is about a half mile west of Lake Houston. This is a rare nesting bird
for this area. The juvenile was first seen on 6-8-14 & it is already large.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/14393581552/
The nest is very high so I was not able to see the baby when it was small,
but now the bird is sitting up near the edge of the nest more often. This
nest is so large that even the adults can disappear in it. I think there is
just one juvenile. Here is a photo of the juvenile that shows the red eyes
and the buffy breast.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/14208395930/

A House Sparrow landed by the nest and the juvenile looked at it and
started bobbing its head back and forth.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/14395000445/

The mother is on the right side of the photo, just the back side of her is
visible. The male is bringing fish and still bringing large sticks to the
nest.

Greg Page
Houston