[texbirds] Orchard Orioles, Blackburnian Warbler at Laguna Gloria

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:48:40 -0500

i birded Laguna Gloria this morning, with some success. i led the Wimberly
Birding Group again, and has some solid birds. Most surprising for me,
where three Orchard Orioles (one 1st year male, two females) that were
feeding on the trumpet vine near the cleared area on the point. photos
here: www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/7234547608/in/photostream/ ,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/7234565610/in/photostream/
also a group pleaser was a cooperative Yellow-crowned Night-Heron,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/7234558576/in/photostream/ and
great looks at the Barred Owl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/7236687074/in/photostream/. not a
lot of warblers around, but a singing male Blackburnian Warbler made a nice
appearence amongst the Yellows. Also, a heard-only Yellow-throated Warbler
(post-breeding bird from up river, maybe) and Magnolia Warbler were nice
additions. Also, a female american redstart was seen by another birder but
not by our group. a few flycatchers are still around, with two Eastern
Wood-Pewees
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/7234546806/in/photostream/ and a
Least Flycatcher.

also, i got a report of a possible Hairy Woodpecker in the parking
lot...this would be REALLY rare, especially with the time of year. I would
go down to check it out, but i have finals tomorrow so i can't affort to
take an hour to look for it. I'm skeptical of it actually being a Hairy,
but i thought i would report on it anyways. Our group didnt have any
Picoides woodpeckers today.

Good Birding
Sam Fason, Austin