[texbirds] On being a leader and making mistakes

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:01:08 +0000

Not all leaders are cut out to be good ones. LaSalle comes to mind here, Joshua
Gregg may be another. Both were successful for a time but eventually were
killed or left to die by those they led. I have heard of a couple of bird
guides who died while on duty, apparently scouting for Fishing Owls is
dangerous work, but never have I heard of a birding field trip leader being
killed or left to die by the tour participants.
A good birding guide needs to be a leader and confident. Those two qualities
invariably cause problems when their human side arises, i.e. they become human
and make mistakes. I consider myself a good bird guide, maybe an exceptional
one but not that exceptional of a birder. As I age especially, my ears are
gone, my eyes are shot, and I think one thing and out of my mouth comes
another.  If you go with me on a field trip you will see me make mistakes. I
would like to think I or the group corrects all of them on any given day but
probably not, as we are all human. Personally I would never be a "leader" in an
area I was not extremely familiar with. I would know the basic ecology of the
area, the dominant plants and when to expect at least 95% of the birds. My
mistakes are usually miss-speaks (a 60+ thing) or being too quick to try to get
everyone on a bird without looking at it as well as I should. But sometimes I
probably just plain miss something and miss call a bird. I always welcome
questions and comments. I like to call out the field marks as we watch a bird
so everyone can identify the bird on their own. Unfortunately many birds don't
present themselves to this type of study. I also have on all my trips many
novices so they are happy to study a Savannah Sparrow or an Orange-crowned
Warbler.  Fortunately they do not expect me to find and identify a Thayer's
Gull!

If a leader does not have a willingness to have their identifications
questioned and then present a case for the field marks, behavior, calls
distribution and time of year, and why it is not a more common alternative
species, then I suggest you find a new leader. If they tell you they are sure
of an identification because they are very familiar with the species, be very
skeptical. Of course I might tell you that about a flock of Western Meadowlark!

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park